Friday, May 27, 2011

Banned words - a bit of a rant

Yesterday I had the privilege (er... duty) to work at "Art Day" at the elementary school.  My station was free paint - the children had access to paper, wood blocks, and all the paint they wanted.  They had 40 minutes to create their lovely masterpieces.


While I was there, I was called into the principal's office.  Oh lord.  It wasn't the first time.  I recall going to the principal's office in 4th grade, 5th grade, and again in 11th grade.  I will plead the fifth on the reasons  :-)

There's a show the boys watched called My Wife and Kids.  The jist is the father's character didn't want his daughter going to prom.  Just google what prom stands for.  Most little boys talk about their body parts - we all know what kind of talk goes on in the boys bathroom and on the bus.  There are certain words that aren't to be said at school.  I just told him to say boogers next time.

No, my little darling should not have repeated what he heard on television.  Yes, I'm mad that this type of show is on prime time family television.  I had a little talk with him.  His punishment was missing the Fun Friday activities he'd earned.  I'm torn because I know there should be consequences but they seem a bit severe.

But the purpose of today's rant is teacher attire.  Gone are the days of male teachers wearing ties and dress shirts and female teachers wearing skirts, hose, and conservative shoes.  Teachers, in our area, wear flip flops, shorts, mini skirts, etc.

Yesterday, one of the female teachers had on low rise jeans.  If you don't know what low rise jeans are, here ya go:



Now, this is what the students were exposed to (keep in mind hormone driven 4th and 5th grade males).  This would have offended me whether or not I had to make a visit to the principal's office.  I understand that young women choose to dress this way.  However, I feel this attire, in the workplace, especially in an elementary school is not acceptable.

What do you think?

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Cathy, it's been awhile since I've stepped foot in an elementary school, so I'm somewhat ignorant regarding what teachers are allowed to wear these days. My thought is -- if the school board allows this type of attire for their teachers, then the teacher can't be faulted, as she is following the rules. Heck, teachers wore skirts, dresses, jackets and ties when I was in school. A couple of generations ago. :)

Clint said...

I sympathize with your outlook. All I can say (I'm an old geezer) is that our public schools of today are terrible in many ways---not the least of which is common sense by the politicians and administrators. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Many schools see a laxity in dress has created many other problems. The ties were fun, but hot as....well hot on days without AC. I still like the formal protocol.

Praire

becky3086 said...

I was a substitute here for a while and no one wore anything like that here.
I myself work at a Boys and Girls Club now and we make sure that we dress well and that the children that come through our doors are dressed well. No tank tops, short shirts, short skirts, or pants dragging at the waste.

Dawn said...

great post! so with you on this!!!!

Jules said...

You know I don't have kids but I SO agree with you on both rants. Family television should not need supervision and teachers should look the part.

I'm glad you had somewhere to seek shelter and that you are okay. Those storms were wicked and looked as such.

Have a great Memorial Holiday.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear my nephew missed fun Friday. Sounds a bit harsh given the good grades and other accomplishments he's made this year. Perhaps a more appropriate and memorable punishment should have been to write a paper. Give him big huggs and thank goodness summer's here for the little guy!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, how can we blame the kids.

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I am not sure that the offending teacher really knows that her jeans look like this from the back. But for a safety measure, I agree with you, high waisted jeans should be required for a teacher, along with whatever other conservative clothing she wants to wear.

Some rules are for the best!