Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spring in a jar - Strawberry jam

There is nothing sweeter than spring fresh strawberries.  To save that little bit of spring, I canned up 9 half pints of fresh strawberry jam.

You'll need:

5 cups of crushed strawberries
7 cups sugar
1 box sure jell powdered pectin

Measure sugar into a separate bowl.  Bring strawberries and pectin to a rolling boil.  Quickly add sugar and bring back to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.

Ladle into 1/2 pint jars, wipe threads are jar clean and seal with heated lid and ring.  Carefully lower jars into a prepared canner.  Make sure water covers the jars by one inch.  Process in water bath for 10 minutes. 

Remove from water and allow to sit overnight.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

I plan to pick my own on Monday. I'll try to save some for jam.
nellie

Clint said...

Ummm Ummm Ummmph!

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I wonder if it would work still using another sweetener, like Stevia? My favorite jam and jelly is strawberry. It is just so good!

Jules said...

Well that sounds easy. I might be able to handle this. I froze some mango's the other day, use them in smoothies.

Sorry I have been unplugged for 10 days. Family and life have been keeping me hopping. Hope all is well out with you. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow