Monday, January 31, 2011

A few things all little boys should learn

Good morning!  Actually it's a tired morning here.  I got zero sleep last night.  Zero.  And I have work study at 8, class at 9, and another class at 1.  I'm seriously contemplating taking a blanket for a nap in the car between classes.

So, last night in my insomnia induced haze I thought this would be a good topic for a blog.  A few things a mom should teach her son(s).

1.  Young men should be taught to remember Mother's day and birthdays.  In that order.
2.  They should be taught how to separate laundry and operate the washer and dryer.
3.  They should learn to bake cookies.
4.  Young men should be taught to cook.  Now, this may be as simple as a grilled cheese or not.  Up to you.
5.  They should understand that they do NOT hit girls.  Ever.
6.  As much as we don't want our children to fight, they will.  They should learn when to walk away and when to fight for what they believe in.
7.  Mistakes - let them learn from them.
8.  They should be taught that Gorilla Glue and duct tape really can save the world.
9.  Honesty - there are no versions of the truth.  Learn this early.
10.  And finally, young men should be taught the meaning of the word respect and what it means to respect another human being.
11.  And thanks to Mal for reminding me of this one .... You are your brothers's keeper, best friend, and historian.





11 comments:

Connie said...

Great post! Hope you have a good day despite the lack of sleep. I've had more nights like that than I can count. You'll sleep well tonight!

Out on the prairie said...

I folded down my back seat of the van and had an alarm clock with me all through college. I commuted so when I had a long break, I crawled in the back. i could follow all your rules, mioving from home I lived on grilled cheese and oatmeal, more for cheapness.

Nancy said...

I got one word for you -- Snuggie! Put one in the car. Oops, maybe not. You might never make it to class.

Isn't it amazing the posts that come to mind when you are sleep-deprived? I write some of my best (well, I think so) posts at 3 in the morning.

This is such a great set of "rules" for young men. I agree with all of them. Awesome!

Nekkid Chicken said...

I agree with all of of yours and would add.

11. You are your brothers's keeper, best friend, and historian.

Hope you grab some sleep. Whatever kept you from sleep must be viral because I am in the same boat.

Take care,
Mal

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great list, Cathy.... I raised 3 boys --and there are a few things I would have done differently. Oh Well--can't play Monday morning QB.... ha.. They are good guys --and I miss them terribly. BUT--they certainly don't contact me much these days, at least one of them doesn't. It hurts --but he just doesn't feel the need to keep in touch...
Hugs,
Betsy

floweringmama said...

Betsy,
My oldest is the same way. He chooses to not communicate no matter how much I try.

Mal - Right you are!!! I can't believe I didn't include that, but then again sleeplessness does have its hold on me right now. I drill that into the little ones's heads frequently!

Nancy, I ended up working on stats homework. If I'd gone to sleep, I wouldn't sleep tonight. Perhaps a glass of wine will do the trick! :-)

Steve, it's a good think grilled cheese is cheap, cause we love it!

Hey Connie, not sleeping really stinks!

Jules said...

Nice list Ms. Flower, of course I would have added something about the toilet seat :)

And yes I did go to the game. I have season tickets. Go Blue! Now get some sleep.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

The Old Parsonage said...

Oh this is great - that first photo could have been about 20yrs ago of our 2!

Leann

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I hope you are getting better sleep. I need to get myself to bed soon.

That's a nice list. I like the cooking part.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I think chives are one of the easiest plants to grow, but they do need to be cut back after they bloom.

Corine Moore said...

I have three boys, so I went right down the list and did a quick assessment... LOL Honest, I really did! There are a couple that I need to work on; thanks for the reminder! ;D My sons thank you, too... IN ABOUT 20 YEARS! LOL

Sunny said...

Your boys look so sweet! Love your philsophy on teaching your sons. Very important.

Your math???? I can do the simple mathematical operations, but beyond that I am lost. My rabbits multiply... does that count?? :)