Friday, October 28, 2011

Apple butter is in the crock!!

The psychology club hosted a Halloween party last night for area children and there were apples left over that I got to bring home.  I was so excited!

I have a huge batch of apple butter in the crockpot.  I've never made it before and didn't follow an official recipe.

5 pounds apples
4 cups sugar
3 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

I'm going to cook it on high for about an hour then reduce to low and cook all day then process it.

5 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I like to put apples away as pieces so I can make pie,crisp or sauce with them.the butter sounds real good, a favorite as a kid.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh....I LOVE apple butter - never made, but hit my sis up for hers....Don't think she does it in a crock pot though. Your house must smell heavenly! Cute photo!! Happy Friday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

floweringmama said...

Apple butter is canned and on the counter cooling! I ended up with 6 half pints - perfect for gift giving!

Jules said...

Shoot, my apples don't last that long, I eat them. Hope school is going great. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Janet, said...

I bet it's good. I love homemade apple butter. I make mine on the stove - 8 cups applesauce,5 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cinnamon drops (those little candies), 1/3 cup vinegar - cook for 20 minutes. Then add a drop of cinnamon oil to it. Homemade is so much better than store bought.