Friday, November 18, 2011

Took my first buck - picture

Last weekend, hubby took me on a deer hunt.  In the past, he was able to hunt on family property but this year he had to book a hunt over in Logan County, Ky.  Wayne and Sandy at Thomas Hollow took great care of us.

I was only there Saturday and Sunday because I didn't want to miss any classes but hubby was there until Tuesday.  I do have a picture below of the buck I harvested, so if you don't wish to see it, don't scroll down.

I tagged out the first day taking a doe and a buck.  He has 9 points but he is small, but for my first ever, I was thrilled.

We got up at 4 am and Wayne had ham and cheese omelets made.  We ate a big breakfast and headed out the door about 4:30.  We hiked about a mile over to the blind with our guns, cameras, and sandwiches.  Wayne had already stored a small cooler and snacks so we were prepared.  In all, we averaged a little over 12 hours a day in the blind and came back to a delicious home cooked dinner every night.

On day one we saw nearly 30 deer and hundreds of turkeys and a few squirrels.  Day two brought severe wind gusts and we didn't see nearly as much wildlife.  Day 3 was about the same.  Hubby took his buck on the fourth day of his hunt.

My .243

This little guy strutted and pranced and seemed to have no idea he only had half a rack

Lots of wildlife

The turkeys were really fun to watch

My first buck





5 comments:

becky3086 said...

Great job!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Congratulations. Wow - you all are allowed to get more than one deer? Round here, it's one per hunter - and you have to have a special tag (which not many get) to take a doe. Have a great weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

floweringmama said...

Robin, with tags and license, we get one doe and one buck. Then you can purchase bonus tags that allow 2 more does.

Out on the prairie said...

i haven't chased them as much this year as others.Sounds like a lot of fun.

Bonnie K said...

Great buck. I bet he will be tasty. I love to hunt and I am always thrilled to see other female hunters. Thanks for being an insipration. I also love the photos of the little guy with the turkeys. Congrats to you.